Re: multi-head GEMPAK and/or McIDAS workstation under GNOME

  • To: Robert Mullenax
  • Subject: Re: multi-head GEMPAK and/or McIDAS workstation under GNOME
  • From: Art Wildman [mailto:Art.Wildman@xxxxxxxx]
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:08:12 -0600
That was one of the things we tried.  Unfortunately in Red Hat 9 (GNOME 2.2)
there is already a gnome-session running on the other screens (unlike
older versions of GNOME).  The problem is, it just doesn't work right.
If you open an app on screen 1 or 2 and minimize it, then it just
disappears.
If you enable Xinerama and mimimize on 1 or 2, it mimimizes to the toolbar
on screen 0.  The big problem is that with the NV drivers at least, Xinerama
makes GARP?NMAP2 display VERY slow.

I just ended up switching to FVWM2 for my workstation.   Not as fancy, but
it works.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Robert