Internet carnage at NIU

Hello all,

We have been dealing with a huge Distributed Denial of Service attack
over the last 24 hours. I don't know who put cottage cheese in someone's
Cheerios, but we have been hit with specific attacks against our DNS
servers, E-mail servers, and then finally, clogging the Internet here at
NIU. Email has been unreliable, so I haven't sent anything out until
tonight. Things are coming back now, but we are not out of the woods yet.
Traceroutes out of the campus are still a half second form our peer
router, but that's also likely due to the attack on ICMP (yeah, they're
trying to hit everything!). We can now access all web sites, and our
incoming data feeds are once again on time. However, I strongly advise
y'all to stay away for another 24 hours until we get get the rest of the
machines shut down that are attacking us.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience.

E-mail: gilbert@xxxxxxx                                               ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: