Re: NIDS display in general (was RE: 20040505: CRAFT data hardware)

The NSSL package that is being sent to the NWSFO's  is WDSS.
It is an awesome software package that ingest level II Wideband data and
using it's own
algorithms to generate and plot TVS,MESO, Hail Size etc.  It tracks storm
attributes
and cross sectional analysis (RHI) and more.

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/wrd/msd/wdss.html

With new Fair Weather Policy the NWS is about to adopt, we might be able
to get the code (linux) of WDSS.  That would make Level II worth having.
Otherwise the best we have to display Level II data is GEMPAK and its very
limited  with no Attribute decoding/plotting.

I think we ought to push to get the WDSS software made available to the
University and Private Sectors.  The would really make the best use of
Level II data IMHO.

Michael Dross                             mdross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Duke Power Company                  Meteorologist/Scientist
9700 David Taylor Dr.               Voice: 704-594-0341
Charlotte, NC 28269                       Mobile: 980-722-0756

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           Robert Mullenax      |
|         |           <rmullenax@univ-wea.c|
|         |           om>                  |
|         |           Sent by:             |
|         |           owner-ldm-users@unida|
|         |           ta.ucar.edu          |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           05/05/2004 03:17 PM  |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->

  |       To:       support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                  |
  |       cc:       ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                  |
  |       Subject:  NIDS display  in general (was RE: 20040505: CRAFT data
hardware)                                              |

Just as aside, I know a few of us have inquired over the years
about Unidata apps displaying the Storm Attribute table
that is attached to the Composite Reflectivity Product.

I realize that this certainly has to have a lower priority,
but are there any plans for either GEMPAK, McIDAS or IDV
to be able to display the table and plot the info over
imagery?

Thanks,
Robert Mullenax

  • Search the ldm-users archives: