Splitting METAR/SPECI in to single station files

I did some searching on the past message's in an attempt to find out
how to split the METAR/SPECI into single station files.

I came across this one.
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/ldm/msg01666.html

and followed the instructions outlined..

It will not work, after stopping LDM, and restarting
then ldmadmin watch .. nothing is happening, these commands now make LDM crash, until I comment the line added to ldmd.conf out

What I eventually want to do is to split into individual files, then decode
to plain english.
Any suggestions ?

Jeff Lake K8JSL
MichiganWxSystem.com