Re: Step 2: Getting METARs into the "EMWIN" feed

Gilbert,

Here¹s how in envision it working...

You have a script that gets the data from lynx ­dump or wget and pipes the
output to a perl script

The perl script then looks to see if the line starts with K... (or K...
......Z if you want to avoid the stations with ³NIL²).  Matching lines get
saved to an array and at the end, the WMO header etc are added and the array
of metars is appended.

Here¹s the big problem...how do you get the data from ADDS in the first
place?  I looked at the page source and came up with a URL that looks like
this:

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/index.php?station_ids=K*&std_trans=st
andard&chk_metars=metars&hoursStr=most+recent+only

Unfortunately, all that gets is a message that K* is not a valid station ID.
I thought perhaps the * was causing the problem, so I tried just using KIND.
It wasn¹t too happy about that either.  They may have designed the script in
such a way that if it doesn¹t come from their form it just won¹t work.  Or I
might have missed something in my attempt at trickery.

Thanks,
BC

--
Ben Cotton, KC9FYX