Re: [ldm-users] 20070828: Feature request for LDM (cont.)

David,

We have made use of splitting an otherwise VERY long pqact file into smaller ones, mostly grouped on feedtype. We have a pqact.conduit, a pqact.nexrad, a pqact.exp, etc.

As Tom said, "It is much better to run several pqacts as long as ..." We also find the benefit of reducing debugging time when something has gone wrong with a pqact action and we know which smaller pqact file was updated most recently! This way also seems easier, at least, to us.

Donna

David Knight wrote:
I have a more basic question. Is it more efficient to
run a single pqact with a large/long/complicated pqact.conf,
or, is it better to run several pqact each with a more
simple pqact.conf? Each pqact.conf might access the same
product and do something different with it, or each
pqact.conf might handle particular groups of products. (for example you could have a pqact.conf for each software package,
or, you could have a pqact.conf for every feedtype.)
If one were to split up and reorginise their pqact.conf
file would there be a computational advantage or disadvantage
to either method?

I'm just wondering is there a good reason for splitting
up a pqact.conf into several smaller files, or would
splitting it by inbeded comments serve just as well?

David

Donna Cote
Senior Research Associate
The Academy for Advanced Telecommunications and Learning Technologies
Texas A&M University
3139 TAMU
College Station, Texas 77843-3139
Office: (979) 862-3982