[ldm-users] Status regarding weatherX.admin.niu.edu feeds, and a brief personal note

Hello everyone,

As you know, we had a horrible shooting here on the campus of Northern Illinois University. I am fine, but one of the students I work with, who takes care of our local American Meteorological Society web page on this server, was shot in the neck by the gunman. I learned a few hours ago that he will fully recover, to which I am thankful to God for that.

Right now, Internet/Internet2 service is fine in and out of DeKalb. I do not see a problem with that, so if you exclusively feed from us (which I don't recommend you do---always have a backup/alternate site on standby in your ldmd.conf file), you should be OK, all my feeds are normal, about the only thing that is right now around here. Phone service is an entirely different story. Cell service here in DeKalb, IL, was almost non-existant due to overload since about 3:15 PM, but Verizon and other companies are somehow bringing in emergency towers for additional capacity. The landlines occasionally break up and go completely down throughout the city. Holding a normal conversation is sometimes impossible.

Anyway, if there is a problem, I'll try to get the word out, but again, I strongly recommend, even under normal circumstances, you have an alternate site to fall back on. Thanks, and I pray you never have to deal with this---ever.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: