Re: [ldm-users] user-stories for the LDM replacement

Hi Steve,

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Steve Emmerson wrote:

I'm working on a replacement for the LDM and I'd like your help.
[snip]
Now's your chance!

I'll bite on this with my 2 cents!

I was sort of surprised by this announcement and very much concerned. Without a doubt, LDM has been the most stable and most important piece of middle ware software I use. Outside of the IDD, it is a key part of my content generation and distribution system. It just works and it is something I don't worry about failing, since it rarely/never does!

After a cursory look over the pages, it is not clear to me what is going to happen with LDM. Is this 'replacement' going to be written in Java? Is it going to maintain RPC compatibility with LDM? Aren't there other projects doing some of the things mentioned, like Thredds Data Server(?), etc?

Talking with other LDM users this weekend, they expressed similar concerns. I would much rather see some of those features go into the LDM codebase without such a drastic shift to different / unproven technology.

This new project looks very cool, but lets not replace LDM :)

daryl

--
/**
 * Daryl Herzmann, RHCE