Re: [ldm-users] Windows and LDM replacement

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 14:22 -0500, Robert Mullenax wrote:

> I have never heard of any demand for LDM to run under Windows, I
> imagine since any Unidata Windows users use IDV or possibly a few
> McIDAS users and don't really need LDM since they have ADDE, et. al...
>
> Can Unidata make the case to current users why Windows support is
> needed?  I think for most of us Windows means Java..and that's a scary
> thing considering what we need the LDM to do.
>
> Also, is Unidata REALLY prepared to support an LDM-type application on
> a platform like Windows that (no matter cool it may be in many ways)
> simply can't match the stability of UNIX/Linux for things like this?
> I can't imagine the myriad of problems.

I have a couple of commercial customers who use LDM for the transmission
of data internally and the only Unix/Linux boxes in their department are
the 2 or 3 computers that run the LDM.   The issue is that the IT staff
has NO Unix/Linux knowledge and that puts their operations at risk.
Trying to talk to these fresh out of college IT staffers that have an
MSCE about Unix is like trying to teach an American to read Chinese.  I
can see where this is an issue.

In my mind I would like to teach these guys a bit about the Unix world
rather than spending the time to port and make reliable a Windows
version of the LDM.

--
Dan Vietor <devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Search the ldm-users archives: