Re: [ldm-users] Windows and LDM replacement

Samba is pretty efficient, and CIFS, despite being a spawn of Redmond, is a really decent file service protocol. It should work pretty well, and this is darned near an ideal implementation for it.

gerry

Brendon Hoch wrote:
One thought on Robert Dale's specific issue which may be of interest to others. I already run samba under Linux to serve user home directories/Domain logins/profiles/network share drives to our MS-Windows based computer cluster (24-35 PCs, depending on how you count). The same server also runs LDM ingesting a 3 day archive for Gempak, which students typically access through an open source terminal + xwindow emulator (putty & xming). When I heard that IDV 2.4 was able to read Gempak grids, I had the revelation of simply creating a samba share to my existing Gempak archive. Walla! IDV clients on our windows machines were able to see all of the Gempak files and render model grids successfully. Instant local ADDE/THREDDS server without the hassle! I haven't done extensive performance testing on this, but so far, it seems to be working fine. The only caveat is that the IDV user needs to feel comfortable navigating the default Gempak data directory tree structure to find products, as it is not necessarily user intuitive.

I whole heartedly agree that it is important to meet the reliability expectation that LDM has developed in the Unix environment over the years and based on discussion, don't see that going away any time soon. I think one reason to consider expanding to the Windows platform is that it has the potential to expand the Unidata community to new audiences and users. Dealing with data bandwidth for the ever growing array of products is also a concern for the future.

Brendon

Robert P Dale wrote:
With Level II viewers now much better in Windows (GR2AE) than in Linux, it would be “nice” to have.
Having said that – making it with Java would not be worth the cost.

--
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.862.3982 FAX: 979.862.3983

  • Search the ldm-users archives: