Re: [ldm-users] NOAAPort feed switching satellites!

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 20:54 -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those of you who feed NOAAport directly off the AMC-4 satellite, check
> this out...
>
> Be advised of the following:
>
> > NOUS72 KNCF 241909
> > ADMNCF
> >
> > On or about May 1, 2008, the AWIPS SBN/NOAAPort data feed
> > will be switched from the existing satellite, AMC-4, to the
> > AMC-2 satellite.  The satellite provider, SES Americom, is
> > making the switch for preventative purposes. Satellite signal
> > parameters on AMC-2 will be identical to that of AMC-4.
> > No satellite receive equipment adjustments will be required.
> > Only a 10 to 20 second interruption is anticipated as AMC-4
> > is deactivated and AMC-2 is activated. Once the planned switch
> > time becomes available from SES Americom, additional messages
> > will be sent.
> > ncf/js
>
> I wonder how they're going to make it so that you don't have to adjust the
> satellite. Maps show that AMC2 is well offset from AMC-4.

This is very short notice on our end so I suspect there is an issue with
AMC4.  Since this is a transparent switch, its clear they've moved AMC2
from 85W over to 101W.   AMC2 is a older satellite with a much smaller
footprint.  We've been investigating whether AMC2 will cover all our
NOAAPORT customers.  I did notice that AMC2 does not cover Hawaii,
Puerto Rico or Alaska.   I wonder what the NWS is going to do there?

--
Dan Vietor <devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Search the ldm-users archives: