Re: [ldm-users] LDM, McIDAS and more under Centos 5.2 or something else?

  • To: "Kevin R. Tyle" <ktyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] LDM, McIDAS and more under Centos 5.2 or something else?
  • From: Dan Vietor <devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:59:37 -0500
On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 22:41 +0000, Kevin R. Tyle wrote:

> I wouldn't necessarily hold off until 5.3 . . . the "minor" version
> updates are easily handled using a yum update.  We've upgraded seamlessly
> from 5.0 to 5.1 to 5.2 each time the minor version update has hit.

I would agree here.  Go ahead and install 5.2.  The bump to 5.3 will
probably be about 50-70 package updates but this is handled in a single
yum update and is transparent to the server.   This is very nice...

I set up my own yum server here downloading each day all the CentOS
updates and serving them out locally.   Since most of my CentOS servers
(about 20 of them) are on an isolated network and can't see the
Internet, this works quite well.  The only problem here is sometimes
there is a slight synchronization bump when a new version comes out
(i.e. not all the packages are there).   So I wait a few days before
updating or I get some missing dependencies.

Daniel Vietor
Mail: devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unisys Corp
Title: Engineer/Meteorologist