Re: [ldm-users] 20090416: NOAAport down

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 13:39 -0600, Tom Yoksas wrote:

> Hi Dan, Gilbert, et. al.,
>
> re: NOAAPort outage
>
> Dan Vietor wrote:
> >We received no data for about 40 minutes.  We're getting data now
> >(started about 1920Z) but its very noisy.   The BER is in the 10e-3
> >range.
>
> I have noticed on a number of occasions that our Novra S75 needs to be
> reset after an outage or noise incident.  When I saw that we were once
> again ingesting the NOAAPort broadcast, I logged onto one of our
> ingesters (Solaris 10 x86) and ran S75_TEST.  Our indicated viterbi Bit
> Error Rate was on the order of 10e-2 until I reset the device.  After
> the reset, it has been hovering between 10e-5 and 10e-4.

I tried that... The old Novras sometimes went into a funk when the feed
is really noisy.  Even after the feed clears up, they continue to not
get any data.   So I power cycled the Novra to see if that was the
problem.  No luck.

The feed appears to have cleared up at 1931Z.  Our BER dropped to 10e-6
and is hovering there.   I've noticed that Novras have a BER history so
even though the feed has cleaned up, the BER will continue to be high
until that history has aged out.  In other words, the BER is not
instantaneous.   A quick way to age the history out is to power cycle
the Novra.

I have both a 3m and 3.7m dish I get NOAAPORT on and both went down even
though the 3m seemed to be getting packets when the 3.7m wasn't.   When
I saw that, I figured it might be a NWS problem.

Daniel Vietor
Mail: devo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unisys Corp
Title: Engineer/Meteorologist