From: Peter Laws [plaws@xxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 08:49
To: NITC Distribution List
Subject: Seagate firmware issue

If you are aware of the Seagate firmware issue, keep reading.  If not,
delete now and sleep peacefully.  :-)

Thanks to XXXXX of XXXX, I have a rig set up in the NOC area to flash
certain disks.  If you have 750 billion byte or 1 trillion byte SATA disks
that are in need of the SN06 firmware, please feel free to use the rig.
Come by with your SATA disk and I'll show you how it works.  Takes about 2
minutes and is mostly automated.

Be forewarned: AFAIK, flashing the disk wipes the data and/or renders it
unusable.

On the storage unit I'm updating, I'm pulling one disk from the RAID and
letting it rebuild using the hot spare.  Wnen I install the newly-flashed
disk, I set it as the new spare.  6 hours later or so, I do it again.
Seven down, 17 to go.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws@xxxxxx