[ldm-users] It's heeeerrreeee...are you losing model data?

The NWS Network Control Facility (NCF) switched over their uplinks to the BNCF this morning at 15:15Z. The last time they did that, GRIB data got messed up in the headers, and the NOAAport software that some sites run crashed the associated LDM hard. Sure enough, it's happening again, and NOAAport ingest software is crashing on 32 bit systems, but chugging along with 64 bit systems. I have the latter, and I am getting a bunch of errors now, but my LDM appears to be doing fine. "HRS" and "NGRID" stuff is sparse, while IDS|DDPLUS|NEXRAD|NIMAGE is fine.

In either case, if you are noticing spotty model data since 15:15Z,
you now know why. It's definitely affecting UNIDATA in more than just
model data. Lookie here:

UNIDATA's receipt of Level3 NEXRAD for the last 24 hours fromtheir dish:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NEXRAD3+noaaport.unidata.ucar.edu

And from mine:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NEXRAD3+noaaport.admin.niu.edu

But as I said, NGRID is most affected:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NGRID+noaaport.unidata.ucar.edu

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NGRID+noaaport.admin.niu.edu

I also have a new firmware update on my Novra S75+ receiver which can correct some transmission errors, and that seems to be helping me right now. But I'm still obviously getting significant data loss.

I lost the NWS NCF phone number, and haven't had luck finding it. If someone who is experiencing t5his issue knows their number and could contact them and let them know this is happening, I'm sure they'd appreciate it...

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: