Re: [ldm-users] Log rotation

On 04/16/10 15:06, Peter Laws wrote:

in ldm's crontab. This doesn't appears to be running regularly, though,
as the rolled logs have seemingly random times. Worse, they somehow get
owned by root.

Not LDM-related, as far as I can tell. Experimenting with SElinux. Put it into enforcing mode a few weeks ago after running it in permissive mode looking for errors. Never saw any errors in permissive, so set it to enforcing on the fly.

You can do that, but evidently, it wasn't clean and a side effect was that syslog could 1) no longer write to /var/log/messages and 2) had no way of telling me that since ... well ... see #1.

Couldn't figure out at first why syslog was not writing despite HUPping it and decided to patch/reboot. That's when it all became clear. Put it back in permissive mode after the reboot and am now getting the SElinux audit messages that I should have seen before.

So, note to self, a reboot really is required to change SElinux levels even if you can echo stuff into /selinux/enforce.

Thanks, as always, to Steve E for the troubleshooting help.

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws@xxxxxx

  • Search the ldm-users archives: