Re: [ldm-users] [noaaport] nam

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, patrick wrote:

I've heard the bandwidth issue over the years, but we're not
actually at 10.5 now.. we average about 4 and peak at about 9

notice here:
http://wn.hamweather.net/

Nice site! Bookmarking that to diagnose any reception issues/NOAAport outages...

the difference in those fields might be say 28mb per Fhour
but in the bigger scheme of things... apples and oranges etc.

The problem, I *think*, is 10.5 mb/sec is max theoretical. It's like having a T1 line...theoretical is 1.44 mb/sec, but the actual is less. I have a 100 mb/sec line in my office, but it gets as high at 92 mb/sec. It can peak higher. Even if not, I'm sure they like a little comfort zone in there. On "big" weather days, I know it has peaked around 10.

So, it is pretty much at saturation at times. Because of this, the NWS has stated they won't add anything of a voluminous nature until NOAAport "3" comes online in April, after the older DVB-S NOAAport is turned off.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: