From: ldm-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Arthur A. Person
Sent: Tue 10/26/2010 8:31 AM
To: Jeff Lake - Admin
Cc: LDM Users
Subject: Re: [ldm-users] high memory

Jeff,

Depending on how heavily your system is loaded, you may be piling up too
much I/O onto one array.  The LDM queue itself can be pretty demanding of
the array, and then you have data coming off the disk out of the queue
again to be decoded (although some/most of that should be cached) and then
you're writing data back out to the array filing raw/decoded data.  It all
comes down the the number of I/O's/second your device can handle... if
it's just two SATA disks in a mirror, it's limited.  The first thing I
would try is moving your LDM queue to your third drive and then monitor
I/O's/second to the drives during peak use.

                               Art

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Jeff Lake - Admin wrote:

>> Do you have separate system disk from data, or does everything run off one
>> mirror?  How many disks are in your mirror?  Is your LDM queue running off
>> the same array as the OS and data?
>>
>>                              Art
>>

> -sh-3.2$ df -h
> /dev/sda6             480G   88G  392G  18% /home2
> /dev/sda5             448G   72G  353G  17% /
> /dev/sda2             2.0G   36M  1.9G   2% /tmp
> /dev/sda1              99M   13M   81M  14% /boot
> tmpfs
>
> ldm, sql, and assorted scripts on /
> ldm queue and data directory on /home2
>
> I do have a 3rd drive that I haven't mounted yet

Arthur A. Person
Research Assistant, System Administrator
Penn State Department of Meteorology
email:  person@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, phone:  814-863-1563