Re: [ldm-users] LDM on Mac OS X

Hi,

Although I haven't tried it lately, I did try it 4 or 5 years ago
and got something working for a test, but not as a regular server.

The hard part is going to be setting it up as they have it here because
Mac OS X (client OS) uses its dscl interface to LDAP instead of using
/etc files.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.8.1/basics/preinstallation.html

Here's an idea of where you'll start on a regular (non-server)
Mac OS X system.

156% sudo dscl .
 > ls
AFPServer
AFPUserAliases
Aliases
AppleMetaRecord
Augments
Automount
AutomountMap
AutoServerSetup
Bootp
ComputerGroups
ComputerLists
Computers
Config
Ethernets
FTPServer
Groups
Hosts
HostServices
LDAPServer
Locations
Machines
MetaUserNames
Mounts
Neighborhoods
NetDomains
NetGroups
Networks
NFS
PasswordServer
People
PresetComputerGroups
PresetComputerLists
PresetComputers
PresetGroups
PresetUsers
Printers
PrintService
PrintServiceUser
Protocols
QTSServer
Resources
RPC
Server
Services
SharePoints
SMBServer
Users
WebServer

To make life a lot easier on you, they sell Mac minis with
Mac OS X Server preloaded on it.  You really might want to
consider that because it has a simple GUI interface into
the LDAP equivalent of /etc files.

I tried compiling and executing the ldm source and it didn't core dump.
I suspect strongly that it will work fine, here's a little of what I
did.

229% tar zxf ldm-6.8.1.tar.gz
230% cd ldm-6.8.1/src/
231% env LDMHOME=`cd ..;pwd` ./configure
checking for c89... c89
config.status: creating config.h
232% make
233% make install
234% cd ../bin
235% ls
afos            ids             notifyme        pqing           rtstats
ddplus          ldmadmin        plotMetrics     pqinsert        scour
dds             ldmcheck        pps             pqmon           scriptconfig
feedme          ldmfail         pqact           pqsend          syscheck
feedtest        ldmping         pqcat           pqsurf
hds             ldmsend         pqcheck         pqutil
hrs             netcheck        pqcreate        regex
hupsyslog       newlog          pqexpire        rpc.ldmd
236% file ldmping
ldmping: Mach-O executable i386
237% ./ldmping
Oct 27 22:45:34 INFO:      State    Elapsed Port   Remote_Host
 rpc_stat
Oct 27 22:45:34 INFO: Resolving localhost to 127.0.0.1 took 0.00125 seconds
^C

Richard Ryan