Re: [ldm-users] Nothing flowing???

Dear Peter,

I read all the e-mails from this thread and checked the statistics of your machines, including the latencies. ldmingest01.nwc.ou.edu [6.8.1] <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?ldmingest01.nwc.ou.edu> ldmingest02.nwc.ou.edu [6.8.1] <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?ldmingest02.nwc.ou.edu>

See that you are losing data, more on ingest02 than ingest01, and that the latencies on both machines reach a delay of 3600s many times, when your LDM "gives up", forget about the old products and request for the newer ones. Everytime this happen you lose data.

To me seems more a situation where the LDM data-requests are more than the current capability of your network to serve your LDMs.
I am used to similar situations. So, I suggest:

1) check the network connection to idd.unidata.ucar.edu, your feeder. Traceroute is ok, but I prefer to use the "mtr":
mtr idd.unidata.ucar.edu
keep watching for 5 minutes. If any "packet loss" appears on the path, you found where the problem is. These things will keep your network working, perhaps a bit slower, but only you (data hunger) will notice anything...

2) Your LDM machines are getting a lot of data. Someone in your path could have set a kind of "packet shaping", "QoS" or anything else to reduce the priority of who is getting too much data (you). For the others the network will be nice and faster, and only your LDMs will suffer. If this is the case, there are tricks to cheat these things, like to replace one request line for several ones. This worked fine to improve the massive LDM feeds to South America.

replace:

REQUEST ANY ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

By:

REQUEST NEXRAD2 ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST CONDUIT ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST FNMOC ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST NGRID ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST NEXRAD3 ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST HDS ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

and so on...

Check to see if this improves the output. At this moment your statistics are:

Data Volume Summary for ldmingest01.nwc.ou.edu
Maximum hourly volume  12967.169 M bytes/hour
Average hourly volume   3520.793 M bytes/hour

Data Volume Summary for ldmingest02.nwc.ou.edu
Maximum hourly volume   5016.503 M bytes/hour
Average hourly volume    845.772 M bytes/hour

Cheers,
Waldenio.

--
Waldenio Gambi de Almeida

Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais
Centro de Previsão de Tempo e Estudos Climáticos
Divisão de Operacoes
Rodovia Pres. Dutra, km 40
Cachoeira Paulista/SP - Brasil
12630-000