[ldm-users] Tuning question

I have a pair of systems that do nothing but ingest data and pass on to others. With the hiccups in data recently, I've spent too much time looking at pqmon and ldmadmin watch output. Looking at the docs online, specifically

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.8.1/basics/monitoring.html#pqmon

it appears that you can use that pqmon output to tune your queue.

The link above states, among other things that "The overhead of managing the queue could be slightly reduced by recreating the queue with a smaller number of slots" ... OK, but what does that mean? How many empty slots is "too many"? I assume that would vary with the size of the queue. Is that overhead large?

Would I be dramatically improving the service to downstream hosts if I tweaked this or would I just be nibbling around the edges like Geordi LaForge adjusting power conversion levels?

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws@xxxxxx

  • Search the ldm-users archives: