Re: [ldm-users] NOAAport update...aka "Fun Friday"...

On 12/09/10 12:11, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Peter Laws wrote:

I've had my coffee (decaf, granted), but I'm still confused.

G-5, the rogue satellite (NOAA product generator, note spelling :-),
has it's transponders on and is transmitting.

It's G-15, and the NOAA product generator is SES-1. I'm horribly
confoozed as to what you are saying here.

The NOAA product generator spelled rogue rouge.

Here's how it works...

G-15 will pass close enough to the satellite that parts of the country
will get interference, while others will not...at least that is the hope
right now. Think of this as a longer version of a "sun outage" that we
get every spring. Looking up from Earth, you would see G-15 passing in
front of SES-1.

But that's in New York or the east coast. So that blocks both uplink and
downlink. If you have the uplink in Hawaii, then some of the country is
unaffected. Then, at some point, switch back to NY/WV/VA or whatever one
you desire, as the bird moves away, and we're golden. But wait...

A physical blocking of the signal, then. And there is enough difference in their respective altitudes that signals from HI can get to/from SES-1 because it's so much higher in its orbit. Hmm.

So inevitably, my hunch is that if you have a full-power signal on
Galaxy 15 on the same signal as NOAAport, we could be hosed no matter
what; it's just that the outage time will be less if it's sent from
Hawaii to start.

That's why I was confused because I came to a similar conclusion - hosed no matter where you send the signal from.

home base. But the NWS doesn't have a backup bird to go to...and that's
way so not cool.

Uh, yeah. Was this fallout from the GOES-R saga? Seems like there oughta be two paths from the branch offices to the main office (even if one is fiber).

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws@xxxxxx

  • Search the ldm-users archives: