Re: [ldm-users] NOAAport back to normal power, however...

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:

NOAAport is back to it's usual power. But there's something different about the signal now. While my signal strength hasn't changed, right at 30 dBm and 90% signal "strength" on my Novra S200...the broadcast is "cleaner" by at least 2 dB.

There's a good reason for that: they haven't lowered the power yet!
We had a snowstorm here, followed by dense fog and freezing drizzle. THAT lowered my signal level by 4 dB. When we had clear skies come in right around 10 PM-midnight CT (4Z-6Z), look what happened to my signal:

http://noaaport.admin.niu.edu:8025/

Yep (red face), it went right back up to what it was before. No wonder why COD was still getting a perfect signal with a 3.0 meter dish even with dense fog...NWS said they turned down the power back down last night, at the same time we had our snowstorm and fog. Well, at least all my data stayed up during that event.

And had the incoming signal level not been this high, I imagine I would have lost data. I know it's just a matter of time before they turn the power down...but I wish this would be permanent.

E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: