[ldm-users] LDM and syslog-ng

I just finished upgrading pluto.met.fsu.edu.  LDM 6.9.7 is now running
under a 64-bit Gentoo Linux, and things seem to be working fine, after a
few tweaks along the way.  Lovely to have enough processing power and
RAM to handle the task. :-)

The last hurdle was getting logging to work with syslog-ng.  What I
discovered is that syslog-ng opens up '/dev/log' with a socket of type
SOCK_STREAMS, rather than the SOCK_DGRAM type that LDM's ulog tries to
open up.

Under src/ulog/ulog.c, around line 255 we see this line:

        logFd = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);

With syslog-ng, I've found that changing to this line turns logging back
on:

        logFd = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, PF_UNIX);

(At least it worked for me! ;-))  If you change the ulog.c file, you
should probably do a 'make clean' followed by 'make install', since
ulog.c is built as part of the library used by other things.  This
little change could probably be enabled by plugging in some
additional ./configure magic, but I think this is better left for the
developers to hash out.

In addition, I have added the following lines to my syslog-ng.conf file
to direct LDM log messages to the file of my choosing:

        destination ldmd { file("/var/log/ldmd.log"); };
        filter f_local0 { facility(local0); };
        log { source(src); filter(f_local0); destination(ldmd); };

Hope this helps a few other folks who may be in a similar situation.

Bret Whissel
SysAdmin
Florida State University
Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Science Department

  • Search the ldm-users archives: