Re: [ldm-users] NEXRAD3 Again ... part III

All,

We found that the high rate of retransmitted products ended on Monday 08/01 -
around 14:44 UTC. Up until that point, we were seeing retransmissions at a rate
of thousands per hour and the difference between the time of original
transmission and the time of retransmission was around 6000 seconds or between
1.5 to 2.0 hours. Then, there was a half hour gap between 14:44 and 15:13 where
no retransmissions were sent, followed by the typical random low rate of
restrans we're used to seeing. The time difference between the original and the
retrans product also settled down to a typical 30 and 60 seconds. After 8/01
14:44, I'd guesstimate that we had already seen 95% of the retransmissions.
Before that, I'd say it was the inverse (possibly because products were no
longer in the "seen it" list). Anyway...something happened at 14:44 on the 1st.
Is anybody aware of any changes made by the NCF/TOC around that time?

I talked to the TOC late yesterday afternoon and they said everything was fine.
Which I guess, technically, at the time was true but they didn't provide any
additional information.

What seems really odd to me, is the length of time between the original
transmission and the restransmission. It's almost as if there is a rogue NWS
office out there requesting retransmissions long after the product has been
transmitted. Here, a slug of radar products were retransmitted nearly two hours
after the original was broadcast. We were also seeing the same for some GRIB
data.

2011/08/01 00:03:07 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS54 KOUN
312215"; Secs=6370
2011/08/01 00:03:07 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS54 KOUN
312215"; Secs=6370
2011/08/01 00:03:07 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS23 KIND
312211"; Secs=6370
2011/08/01 00:03:07 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS23 KARX
312214"; Secs=6370
2011/08/01 00:03:07 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS23 KIND
312211"; Secs=6370

They may have even retransmitted the same product multiple times, unless
multiple unique products are transmitted under the SDUS54 KOUN header (not up
on my WMO headers like I used to be).

2011/07/31 22:16:21 Retranmission doesn't exist: saving "SDUS54 KOUN 312215"
2011/08/01 00:01:34 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS54 KOUN
312215"; Secs=6335
2011/08/01 00:01:34 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS54 KOUN
312215"; Secs=6335
2011/08/01 00:03:07 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS54 KOUN
312215"; Secs=6370
2011/08/01 00:03:07 Retranmission already exists: skipping "SDUS54 KOUN
312215"; Secs=6370

Chad

Chad Johnson
Data Software Engineer
Meteorologist
Weather Central, LP
401 Charmany Drive, Suite 200
Madison, WI 53719
(608) 274-5789 Main
(608) 276-4613 Fax
www.wxc.com

 Please keep this email paperless.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS INTENDED
ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT(S).  IF
THE READER OF THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OR ANY AGENT
RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING IT TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY
NOTIFIED THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS DOCUMENT IN ERROR, AND THAT ANY REVIEW,
DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE OR USE OF ITS CONTENTS
IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.