Re: [ldm-users] Build Problems for LDM 6.11.2 on Ubuntu Server 12.04

  • To: Karen Cooper - NOAA Affiliate <karen.cooper@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] Build Problems for LDM 6.11.2 on Ubuntu Server 12.04
  • From: Charles Watson <cwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:56:14 -0400
Well, since folks are chiming in :) here's what I'm seeing for what it's worth.
 We are running LDM to ingest NOAAPORT as well as processing some local stuff.

1) Had great experiences with SuSE for many years, until version 11, then
builds became increasingly frustrating for GEMPAK components as well as other
software/hardware issues.  Still have a SuSE 11.1 box running; it seems to have
better performance than the RHEL derivatives on the same hardware, but don't
see a future there with AWIPSII on the way.
2) Currently have two machines running RHEL derivatives, one running SL 6.2,
the other Fedora 17.  Both are running fine - builds of both LDM and GEMPAK
were straightforward.  Despite several rounds of tweaking, still don't seem to
have the NOAAPORT performance that SuSE did even though these are faster/more
capable systems.  Seems like RHEL variants have lots of "busybody" processes.

Chuck

Chuck Watson
Watson Technical Consulting
http://hurricane.methaz.org,  Tel 912.398.9753
http://satblog.methaz.org for commentary on hazard modeling and forecasts

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"
-- Homer Simpson

  • Search the ldm-users archives: