[ldm-users] LDM 6.11.7 thoughts

Hello everyone,

NIU has been running LDM 6.11.7 since Friday, about an hour before it was
released (because, for those of you who have known of me for a while, I
love running outdated LDM software ;-) ). What Steve failed to mention are
two critical bugs for me, that have brought down my systems and others
I am responsible for:

Downstream LDM:
        Squashed a bug that could result in an assertion failure if a
        remote site's portmapper was successfully used to connect to a
        remote LDM server (thanks Gilbert).

Squashed a bug in the LDM 5 client library (which is used by
        notifyme(1)) that would cause a segmentation violation (SIGSEGV)
        if the upstream hostname couldn't be resolved into an IP address.

This kept bringing down my NIU servers whenever we had DNS issues, such as
after a power failure, server going wonky, or whatever. If your LDM has
ever crashed for no apparent reason, I bet one of these two bugs could
have been the culprit.

In any case, I know of two entities, AllisonHouse and the College of
DuPage, who have run this flawlessly with no issues over the weekend or
this morning on their NOAAport ingesters. Here at NIU,
all my servers are on 6.11.7...with no issues seen over the weekend.

Then again, I picked the Australian University of Walamaloo to be in the Final Four, so what do I know? Carry on and keep LDM'ing,

Gilbert

Gilbert Sebenste                                                    ********
E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NIU_Weather                            **