Re: [ldm-users] LDM & IPv6

Blair,

I've heard a similar response when asking about the ability of LDM to handle more than 30 feedtypes. One of the things that was mentioned was that it would require a new architecture that would not be backwards compatible with LDM 6.x, thus causing an impact to the community.

Seeing as how it has been over 10 years since the community moved from LDM 5.x to LDM 6.x, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the community to move to a LDM 7.x platform which could potentially incorporate IPv6, >30 feedtypes and possibly other benefits.

LDM was originally developed to support the university community. The number of commercial and governmental entities that now use LDM and other Unidata tools has grown rapidly in the last few years. NWS/Raytheon has made LDM an integral part of AWIPS II, which puts the developers at Unidata in a unique support situation. I encourage the Unidata governing committees (Usercom and SAC, formerly Polcomm) to explore ways to encourage the corporate and governmental members who have joined this community to a play a greater role (either through contributions of funding or programing expertise) so that improvements to LDM and other Unidata tools may proceed at a more rapid rate.

Brendon
--
Brendon Hoch, M.S.
Technology Manager