Re: [ldm-users] LDM & IPv6

ADDENDUM:  We're dual stack on all our servers, and if IPv6 were added into
LDM, we'd basically just set up ALLOW entries for a server for both IPv4
and IPv6...and LDM could choose which one to use, in a similar way to how
it chooses with upstream provider to use for a feed when there are many
options in ldmd.conf.  :)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Blair Trosper <blair.trosper@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I understand the backwards compatibility concern, but when I bellow about
> IPv6, I'm just suggesting we add it in to LDM in addition to IPv4 to make
> it dual stack.
>
> That means two peers could use one or both.  That would solve the backward
> compatibility problem.  IPv6 would just be added as an ability, not a
> mandate.
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.  I'd just like to see both in there so
> all of us can use one, the other, or both.  IPv6 is perfectly suited for
> data-heavy feeds like NEXRAD2 because of its packet design.  :)
>
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Brendon Hoch <bhoch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Blair,
>>
>> I've heard a similar response when asking about the ability of LDM to
>> handle more than 30 feedtypes.  One of the things that was mentioned was
>> that it would require a new architecture that would not be backwards
>> compatible with LDM 6.x, thus causing an impact to the community.
>>
>> Seeing as how it has been over 10 years since the community moved from
>> LDM 5.x to LDM 6.x, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the community to
>> move to a LDM 7.x platform which could potentially incorporate IPv6, >30
>> feedtypes and possibly other benefits.
>>
>> LDM was originally developed to support the university community.  The
>> number of commercial and governmental entities that now use LDM and other
>> Unidata tools has grown rapidly in the last few years. NWS/Raytheon has
>> made LDM an integral part of AWIPS II, which puts the developers at Unidata
>> in a unique support situation.  I encourage the Unidata governing
>> committees (Usercom and SAC, formerly Polcomm) to explore ways to encourage
>> the corporate and governmental members who have joined this community to a
>> play a greater role (either through contributions of funding or programing
>> expertise) so that improvements to LDM and other Unidata tools may proceed
>> at a more rapid rate.
>>
>> Brendon
>> --
>> Brendon Hoch, M.S.