Re: [ldm-users] [noaaport] noaaport

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, Wojtowicz, David wrote:

You'd think switching to the backup facility would be somewhat of an automated process. (I don't know what it actually involves)

It is and it isn't. You have to cleanly shutdown the primary uplink, and then spin up the backup uplink at the same time. Normally, this
process can be done manually, but quickly. The problem is when your
uplink that you are using goes down, and you can't communicate
with it. You have to shut that one off first, or else you
can get two uplinks transmitting to one bird, when the
primary comes back online...which is a bad situation. In that case, and I don't know how it's done, you have to manually
shut off the uplink you were using, and then quickly spin up the other
backup uplink.

In this case, I completely understand why it takes them an hour and
more to do that, because they also need a little time to figure out why
they lost the uplink in the first place. The two issues now are:

1. Why did the generator on the primary system fail?
2. The backup uplink, which they are on now, I think has no generator
backup, only commercial power. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Gilbert

Gilbert Sebenste                                                    ********
E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  ***
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NIU_Weather                            **