Re: [ldm-users] [noaaport] noaaport

  • To: "Rodger R. Getz" <rgetz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] [noaaport] noaaport
  • From: Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate <gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 11:05:13 -0600
A lot of the data center systems are engineered to a 15 minute up-time on
UPS, anticipating a 90-sec generator startup and stabilization period...
and some slack for failure to automatically start, requiring manual
intervention.

Similarly, I'm used to semi-annual commercial power failover tests, monthly
generator tests (I wouldn't argue with weekly) and monthly UPS testing
without failover.

I do NOT know what the power configuration is for SBN, so I'm not casting
stones here, but I'm familiar with a fair number of, and wide variety of
UPS/generator configurations. And, I can recall a situation with a hospital
some years ago, where a friend was their chief engineer. He did weekly
generator tests, and monthly failover tests. And when they had an actual
loss of commercial power, despite the frequent testing, his generator
failed to start. It can happen despite appropriate testing.

Gerry

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371