[ldm-users] ldm reclass

I apologize for this wall o' text.

I had a very strange problem earlier today with LDM.  I managed to get
things working, but I still don't know what was causing the problem.

Story:

I have a server  "dontpanic" which is getting data from Vaisala.  The data
is feedtype NLDN (or LIGHTNING) and comes in roughly once per minute.   The
pattern also includes "NLDN" so I'm wondering if that was somehow part of
the problem.

I have 2 workstations that were configured to get data the data from
dontpanic.  One of them could, but the other one could not.  My allow
request lines were pretty simple, and the machines only get one other data
feed from me.  On the machine that had problems I even tried multiple
versions of LDM, but it didn't seem to make any difference which version I
used.

The first machine (172.16.24.181) had no problem getting data with these
groups of request/allow lines:

Allow lines on upstream server (dontpanic):

#This was a long used line
allow EXP|WMO|NLDN 172.16.24.181
#This was a new line that was added -- probably not needed though
allow ANY 172.16.24.181 "NLDN.0003"

The request line:

request ANY "NLDN"  172.16.15.21

The second machine (172.16.24.179) did not get the data.  It's
allow/request lines were:

Allow lines on upstream server (dontpanic):

#Pre-existing line that worked fine
allow ANY 172.16.24.179 "SSEC"
#New line that DID NOT WORK
allow ANY 172.16.24.179 "NLDN.0003"

The request line

request ANY "NLDN" 172.16.15.21

Whenever this was started up I would get a reclass:

Apr  1 09:23:44 w2swat12 172.16.15.21[5665] NOTE: Product reclassification
by upstream LDM: 20160401132344.867 TS_ENDT {{ANY,  "NLDN"}} ->
20160401132344.867 TS_ENDT {{EXP,  "NLDN"}}

And to reiterate, it could get the SSEC data with an EXP feedtype, but it
could not get the NLDN data.  It's NLDN request would get reclassed to the
EXP feedtype every time.

Eventually, after trying many different combinations of allows and requests
and changing my patterns, including getting rid of the "ok" pattern
following the allow statement I got something to work, but only by changing
my request to:

request NLDN .*

So, for some reason, when I would try to request the ANY feedtype, which
should include everything, and should have been allowed, I would get
reclassed to only being allowed the EXP feedtype.  But when I requested the
NLDN feedtype specifically, I started getting the data and the reclass
messages stopped.

--
“The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to
the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

Karen.Cooper@xxxxxxxx

Phone#:  405-325-6456
Cell:   405-834-8559
National Severe Storms Laboratory