Re: [ldm-users] NOAAPort NIDS versus ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/ files

  • To: Pete Pokrandt <poker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] NOAAPort NIDS versus ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/ files
  • From: Daniel Vietor - NOAA Affiliate <dan.vietor@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 01:19:17 -0500
Yes, I wrote ucnids back in the late 90s.  The original NIDS products on
NOAAPort were zlib compressed.  This was the entire product including the
WMO header.  The ucnids program has made the rounds.  I wrote the zlib
decompression directly into WXP so it didn't need decompression but there
were several software packages that did.  The newer products bzlip2
compress only the radial and rastor sections of the NIDS product.  The
header is not compressed.  The ucnids program doesn't decompress the bzip2
compressed data.  It seems like most software packages can handle the bzip2
compression so there isn't a need for decompression... or is there?

Dan.