Re: [ldm-users] NWS official statement on the data outage of 2/13/2017

Hey Stonie,

I agree. NWR had an old zone forecast and a hazardous weather outlook on the
broadcasts I monitor...that was it. And from work, many people are not allowed
to look at social media, or they are just too busy to look at it. And many
don't even know that the NWS WFO's are on social media. The weather weenies and
meteorologists do, but the general public? One office that has nearly 8 million
in their CWA has a FB following of 150,000 people.  And where are the WFO's
getting weather data to get the warnings and make forecasts when NOAAport is
dead?

What was very interesting was that, apparently, in order to feed the BNCF, you
have to go through the ANCF.
I think having two (redundant) routers in the same facility is great!
BUT...make sure you have backup routes to other facilities
via another method or router so that if both go down, you can flip easily to
another system to get you "back on the air" quickly.

The modis operandi in IT these days is "streamline" for efficiency and cost
effectiveness. I get that. I really do. Budgets are tight, and it's less
equipment to maintain. But be advised that if you streamline, without no
outside backup, it WILL come to bite you in the backside. I am seeing this
happen over and over again outside of the NWS. The good news? Thankfully, we
didn't have a severe weather outbreak going on. And, the NWS learned its
lesson, ultimately, and will have another route to the BNCF shortly. Bravo!
Now, I wish other companies and entities would get it, and not shrug their
shoulders and go "Internet day. Go home."

Gilbert Sebenste
Staff Meteorologist
Environmental Health and Safety
Labs for Wellness 154 | DeKalb, Illinois 60115
815-753-5492
gilbert@xxxxxxx
http://weather.admin.niu.edu

Everyone. Home. Safely.