Re: [ldm-users] GOES-16 reception issues when going through an enterprise level switch

Nice detective work.

Sometimes those $50 , layer 2 basic switches are all you need :)

From: ldm-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ldm-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gilbert Sebenste
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:30 PM
To: ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; NOAAPORT
Subject: [ldm-users] GOES-16 reception issues when going through an
enterprise level switch

Hello everyone,

The College of DuPage has a NOAAport receiver with a Novra S300N, and two
Ubuntu boxes as ingestors, so that if one fails, the other will still
provide data. To accomplish this, they use an enterprise level network
switch, a Nortel/Avaya 5520, that costs a lot of money (and not the $50
gigabit switches you can get from Newegg, or wherever), to split the data
feed so that both servers can get and ultimately relay the data.

When trying to receive the test GOES-16 imagery months ago, it wasn't coming
across their NOAAport feed. I thought it was a glitch with their Novra box,
or the network switch. But now that GOES-16 data is being sent, neither
NOAAPort ingest server were getting the GOES-16 data on the NOTHER feed.
What could be wrong?

We restarted the LDM on both servers, deleting and remaking the queues. That
didn't do anything.

We then double checked the ldmd.conf files, which had a few minor issues,
and also checked the logs,

of course. Still, no GOES-16 data was showing up.

We then did a packet sniff from one of the servers to the switch. No GOES-16
test data was being sent to the boxes from the switch!

We then made sure the Ubuntu kernel parameters were set correctly, per the
LDM instructions. One box didn't have it correct; the other was correct. We
rebooted both boxes after doing checks. That didn't get us GOES-16 data,
either.

So then, today, I convinced a College of DuPage meteorology program employee
to go out to the bitter cold dish farm and climate-controlled "dog house"
where the Novra and the servers are. As he power-cycled the Novra, I was
doing an ldmadmin watch on the NOTHER feed on the ingest servers. When the
Novra came back up after the power cycke.no GOES-16 data was coming across
to the servers!

So then we looked to the network switch. The employee grabbed a jumper
cable, and ran an Ethernet cable directly from the Novra to one of the two
ingest servers. Then, finally, GOES-16 data started pouring in on that
server!

But why? How can a $1,000+ enterprise level switch have a problem like this?

Well, as it turns out, it wasn't the fault of the switch at all. See:
224.0.1.[1-10] have reserved internet protocols on them:

 <http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/ip/multicast.htm>
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/ip/multicast.htm

For those of you who don't like to understandably click on links from
strangers (and geeky meteorologists):

                                                                INTERNETWORK
CONTROL BLOCK

224.0.1.0

 <http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/vmtp.htm> VMTP Managers.

RFC 1045

224.0.1.1

 <http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/ntp.htm> NTP, Network Time
Protocol.

 <http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc1119.pdf> RFC 1119

224.0.1.2

SGI-Dogfight.

224.0.1.3

Rwhod.

224.0.1.4

VNP.

224.0.1.5

Artificial Horizons - Aviator.

224.0.1.6

NSS, Name Service Server.

224.0.1.7

AUDIONEWS - Audio News Multicast.

224.0.1.8

SUN NIS+ Information Service.

224.0.1.9

 <http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/mtp.htm> MTP, Multicast
Transport Protocol.

 <http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc1301.txt> RFC 1301

224.0.1.10

IETF-1-LOW-AUDIO.

Uh huh. When the NWS picked those IP addresses to encapsulate the data, they
picked IP numbers that are used and reserved for enterprise-level switches.

As for the College of DuPage? I just got this email from head network
engineer, Dave Bukowski, who came up with this solution: you need to enable
unknown multicast flooding on those IP's. Here's what Dave did, and his
email with the solution:

-----------

FOUND IT!!!!

This was in the config

show running-config

.....SNIP.....

!

! *** IGMP ***

!

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.1

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.2

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.3

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.4

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.5

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-no-flood enable

.....ENDSNIP.....

Added

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.6

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.7

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.8

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.9

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.10

vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood 224.0.1.201

So now:

SDBDF01#show vlan igmp unknown-mcast-allow-flood

Allowed Multicast Addresses

224.0.1.1       224.0.1.2       224.0.1.3       224.0.1.4

224.0.1.5       224.0.1.6       224.0.1.7       224.0.1.8

224.0.1.9       224.0.1.10     224.0.1.201

Total Multicast MAC Addresses: 0

Total Multicast IP  Addresses: 11

Now we have a flood of data coming in on both noaaport1 and noaaport2. It
was multicast and we were blocking the flood, but had to specifically allow
the flooding by multicast address.

-Dave

Thanks, Dave. We spent at least 10 hours trying to figure this out. On a $50
switch, you might not have a problem, but if you do decide to have multiple
ingesters by going through a network switch.if you don't get all of the
data, your reception may be fine.it's the switch that's been programmed to
stop the flow of data.

Thanks to Tom Yoksas as he helped us try to figure this mess out, to Mike
Zuranski for going out in the bitter cold and spending hours on the phone as
we tried to figure this out, and for Dave Bukowski who ran the ball for the
touchdown after we discovered it was the switch blocking the data.

Gilbert

Gilbert Sebenste

Staff Meteorologist

Environmental Health and Safety

Labs for Wellness 154 | DeKalb, Illinois 60115

815-753-5492

gilbert@xxxxxxx <mailto:gilbert@xxxxxxx>

http://weather.admin.niu.edu <http://weather.admin.niu.edu/>

Everyone. Home. Safely.