Re: [ldm-users] uniwisc feed receive times

Thanks for the info.  You helped clear things up.

Dave

From: Herbster, Christopher G. [mailto:herbstec@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:29 PM
To: David Fitzgerald <David.Fitzgerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
'ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: uniwisc feed receive times

Hi Dave,

The timestamp of the image is the time that the scan began.  There are many
different scanning strategies and regions, and each of them takes a different
amount of time to complete.

Speculating that the routine schedule was in place for yesterday, and using
this resource
http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Operations/GOES/east/imager-routine.html, I see that a
typical 1345 UTC image would be the Northern Hemisphere Extended sector, which
takes 14:15 (14.25 minutes) to complete.  This image did not complete until
13:59:15.  I do not know the magic that occurs to bring the images into the LDM
IDD feed, but there is much less latency than you might think there is given
the time to conduct the sector scan.  A full disk image, done every three hours
for WMO data sharing, takes 26:02.

We have a NOAAPort ingest system, so we get some data that way.  Those images
are first downloaded to Wallops Island, and then bounce around through some
absurd number of miles to get to our dish.  (I really do not know enough about
this to say any more, and may have already stepped outside of an accurate
description.)

I hope this helps,
Chris H.

--