Re: [ldm-users] uniwisc feed receive times

  • To: "ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ldm-users] uniwisc feed receive times
  • From: "Hughes, Brian" <Brian.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:43:00 +0000
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
Hi Chris,

Long ago, I managed the system which processes the current GOES images for
NOAAPort. The GVAR is received at NOAA's Satellite Operations Facility (NSOF)
in Suitland, MD (Wallops handles uplink and telemetry, and some backup image
processing) and the GOES Ingest and NOAAPort Interface (GINI) waits until a
scan is almost complete or complete, then uses McIDAS to re-project the images,
adds some NOAAPort comms headers and trailers (TIGExx, TIGWxx, TIGNxx, etc)
then transfers the processed images over to the NCF for uplink to NOAAPort.

The GOES-R to NOAAPort process was designed to minimize latency as much as
possible and enable the 1 min or 30 sec temporal coverage. (The GOES sats have
had 1 min scan capability all along, but it was only allowed for research
purposes since AWIPS could not handle the 1 minute schedules. This "Super Rapid
Scan Operation" would cause the NWS to receive "Routine" schedule only because
SRSO schedule could not be used concurrently with the 7.5 minute "Rapid Scan",
and why GOES-R proving ground could only use the backup GOES-14 in SRSO during
the summer when backup GOES sats would be routinely taken out of storage for
testing)

-Brian

Brian K. Hughes, PMP, ITIL v3 | Director | Weather Information and Technology
Solutions
Unisys | Federal Systems | Direct 703-234-9875 | Cell 443-614-6026 |
brian.hughes@xxxxxxxxxx | weather.unisys.com
2476 Swedesford Road | Malvern, PA 19355

MATERIAL and is for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from
all devices.

Message: 1