[mcidas-x] 20080129: Unidata McIDAS-X supported platforms

  • To: "Zehel, Samuel" <zehel@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [mcidas-x] 20080129: Unidata McIDAS-X supported platforms
  • From: Tom Yoksas <yoksas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:20:37 -0700

Hi Samuel,

re:
I've noticed McIDAS's "Supported Platforms" page
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/specs.html) states
that Fedora Core 5 and 6 are supported OS's.

Correct.  I support McIDAS on platforms for which I have a development
environment where I can test.  We still have Fedora Core 5/6 here at the UPC,
so I can still support McIDAS on them.  As you might guess, this situation will
change as we upgrade our FC 5/6 machines to Fedora 8.

However, RedHat's  "Installation Guide"  for current versions
(http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide),  list Fedora Core 6 (and
older versions) as obsolete, so it's not receiving regular updates from
RedHat.

Correct.

What gives?

The list of platforms for which we provide support does not necessarily match
what the vendors list as their supported OS versions -- we are constrained by
the platforms we have in-house.

If your question is if you should upgrade your OS, then our recommendation is
yes, you should upgrade so that you have a system that will continue to get
needed security patches.  This means that you should upgrade any/all Fedora
Core 5/6 machine(s) to Fedora 7, or, better yet, Fedora 8.  The other option is
to use a version of Linux that the vendor supports.  This would mean switching
to RedHat Enterprise or, perhaps, some other version of Linux like CentOS
(CentOS is a freel-available distribution of RedHat Enterprise).

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* yoksas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*

  • Search the mcidas-x archives: