Date:    Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:20:58 -0700
From:    Unidata Support <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:      russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 20030402:dimension type for time series

------- Forwarded Message

To: support-netcdf-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
To: yuy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Bob Yu <yuy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: dimension type for time series

--------------35188879CC20E5B5CF4F209D

Hi,

I use NetCDF java (version 2.0) for generating netcdf files.  I have a
problem when tried to generate a time dimension  {"Jan", "Feb",  "Mar",
...}
The NetCDF Java API have ArrayAbstract ( and ArrayInt, ArrayFloat, ...)
but  NO  ArrayString for holding the above 1D array.  The reason I need
to use the above 1D array is to show month information rather than
{1,2,3,4...}.   What should I do?

Thanks.

--
(Bob) Yunyue YU
Code 971, Goddard Space Flight Center

use ArrayChar class. it has getString() and setString() methods that should work for you.

you may also be interested in "Writing NetCDF Files: Best Practices" (general to all netcdf files):

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/BestPractices.html