Re: Netcdf-Java version 2.2 alpha release

Christopher.Moore@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi John,

Great news about the new Netcdf-Java release (congrats)!

One quick question: will the Java API support parallel IO?

Cheers,
Chris

Christopher Moore                email: Christopher.Moore@xxxxxxxx
Research Scientist, Oceanography                 tel: 206.526.6779
University of Washington/JISAO/NOAA-PMEL         fax: 206.526.6744
Hi Chris:

Thanks!

I think the answer to parallel IO support is no. The new netccdf-4 C library is built on top of the HDF5 library, and so will be able to use the parellel IO there.

The Java library is a complete rewrite, so cant take advantage of existing code. We will be working on some data servers and will probably do some coarse grained parellel IO there, especially for file aggregation. I suspect we will eventually get some pretty good parellel IO there, along the lines of an HTTP server.

However, we dont plan to target high performance I/O applications per-se with the Java library.