Re: 20050310: IDV - IDV not displaying CF-compliant files

To: support-idv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Jenny Abernethy" <aberneth@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: IDV - IDV not displaying CF-compliant files

Institution: NCAR
Package Version: 1.1
Operating System: linux 2.6.8-1-686-smp Hardware Information: 4 Intel Xeon 3.4Ghz Inquiry: I've made this attached file CF compliant verified by the CF compliance checker (http://titania.badc.rl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cf-checker.pl) but IDV won't display the data. In the data selector window, I use 'add new data source' button to add this file. The file name is displayed in the Data Sources window, but nothing comes up in the Fields window like the Users Guide says should happen automatically. I was wondering if you could take a look at this? I appreciate it!
thanks,
Jenny

Hi Jenny:

Despite passing the "CF compliance checker", this file has several things wrong with it:

1) The data variable needs to have the lat, lon coordinates specified, eg:

  float tke(z, y, x); // 4 2438100
    :long_name = "tke_potential";
    :z = "flight_levels";
    :record = "valtime, reftime";
    :units = "meters";
    :coordinates="lat lon";

2) The z coordinate has no coordinate vaiable, see section 4.3

3) the projection information is not correctly specified See section 5.6 of the CF manual:

  http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/CF-1.0.html#gmap

theres an example there you can follow