Re: Pycdf and NetCDF-java

The only way I could see Python accessing Java would be through JNI.

Jython is an implementation of Python language that is run by the Java Virtual Machine, and therefore can work with Java classes directly. We have found it to be very effective and useful; however, it is a few revs behind Python and therefore does not have all the current Python library methods available (Jython 2.2 is being worked now). In addition, Jython cannot directly access any C/Fortran libraries.

I should also note that both IDL and Matlab can directly use Java classes, although IDL is quite a bit more cumbersome that Matlab.

Regards,

tom

John Caron wrote:
Can python access java code? is that what jpython is/does?

Rich Signell wrote:
NetCDF-Java Folk,

Is there a way to access the neat stuff in NetCDF-Java from Python?

My colleague Rob Hetland is interested in extending Pycdf with higher level CF-functionality that would determine what the coordinate variables are, time conventions, vertical coordinates, etc.

He could do all the logic in Pycdf, perhaps stealing some code from the CF-checker (which is in python) but is there a way to utilize the NetCDF-Java library where much of this logic has already been coded?

If there was a way to do this, it would allow him to access all the higher level functionality built into the existing nj22 and harness the future development of NetCDF-Java as well.

Thanks,
Rich