Re: [IDV #FAV-932592]: IDV install

Some issues with the sample files:

A. FOSTER.tiegcmdr.ptest001.nc, FOSTER.tiegcmdr.stest001.nc,

1. need global attribute Conventions = "CF-1.0"

2. variable lev formula_terms = "p0:p0 lev:lev"; should be formula_terms = "p0: p0 lev: lev";

variable ilev formula_terms = "p0:p0 ilev:ilev"; should be formula_terms = "p0: p0 lev: ilev";

variable mlev formula_terms = "p0:p0 mlev:mlev"; should be formula_terms = "p0: p0 lev: mlev";

variable imlev formula_terms = "p0:p0 imlev:imlev"; should be formula_terms = "p0: p0 lev: imlev";

Ben, can these be fixed?

Ben Foster wrote:
Don:
Yes, I got it to build and run on a local Linux box here at
hao. It read a tiegcm history file, and stopped with the expected
error saying it did not understand the vertical coordinate array.

In the meantime, the new dimensionless vertical coordinate has
been approved by the CF group (including Jonathan Gregory and
Brian Eaton), and added to Appendix D of the CF document:

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/CF-current.html#sname

Atmosphere natural log pressure coordinate

standard_name = "atmosphere_ln_pressure_coordinate"

Definition:

p(k) = p0 * exp(-lev(k))

where p(k) is the pressure at gridpoint (k), p0 is a reference pressure, lev(k) is the dimensionless coordinate at vertical gridpoint (k).

The format for the formula_terms attribute is

formula_terms = "p0: var1 lev: var2"

The only change from the original proposal is the use of "ln" in the
standard name instead of "log".  I will fix our code and write some
sample history files with this change, and give them to you.  I presume
the next step is to add the necessary code to IDV to allow it to accept
this new coordinate.  Let me know if there is anything else I can do to
help. Thanks,

--Ben

support-idv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx using -f