[netcdf-java] When Gridded datasets don't have GeoGrids...

All,

I have an application which connects to OPeNDAP servers and allows the user
to subset the selected dataset and then retrieve a local copy of the desired
data.  The application works well with most datasets that are gridded ­ as
long as the GridDataset contains GeoGrids.  However there are some datasets
that don¹t work for some reason, despite the fact that they are
DataType=Gridded.

Here is the url for one such dataset:
http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov:8085/thredds/dodsC/oceanwindsmon

The line I¹m using to generate a GridDataset (from which GeoGrids are
obtained) is:
GridDataset gds =
(GridDataset)TypedDatasetFactory.open(thredds.catalog.DataType.GRID, ncd,
this, errlog);

Where ncd is the NetcdfDataset pointing to the OPeNDAP data and errlog is a
StringBuffer for recording any errors (of which there never are any).

The only information I can glean from stepping through my code comes from
the ³parseInfo² field of the GridDataset.  It is as follows (for the dataset
mentioned above):
"GridDataset look for GeoGrids
 u(time, zlev, lat, lon) check CS zlev time lat lon:  NOT complete
 v(time, zlev, lat, lon) check CS zlev time lat lon:  NOT complete
 w(time, zlev, lat, lon) check CS zlev time lat lon:  NOT complete
"

I¹m hoping there¹s another more ³robust² method for generating a GridDataset
from a url as this is not the only dataset that this occurs with, so a
solution for this particular dataset isn¹t of much use.

Any help/advice is most appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Chris

--
Christopher Mueller | Scientist
Applied Science Associates

ASA | Science. Services. Solutions

Imagination is everything.  It is the preview of life's coming attractions.
- Albert Einstein

Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right. -
Henry Ford