Re: [netcdf-java] Roadmap or intent for netcdf-java to write netCDF4

Hi John,

>From what I understand, parallel I/O is a netcdf-4 specific feature, and
that would have to be the big one I'm interested in.

I have worked in 2007 on a project with distributed runs whose outputs
were then collated from many (text!) files. I/O was the clear bottleneck
in several modelling steps. I am thus interested in better techniques to
handle parallel I/O in write mode.

Chunking attracted my attention but I do not have a clear idea whether
this would alleviate known issues and how. Other features missing in
write mode in the Java implementation (e.g. groups if I get it right)
sound nice but do not address main issues (maybe only because I am not
aware of them).

The choice of Java vs C or C++ is based on partiality and familiarity so
far: I needed to reuse some C# code, and the netcdf Java jar files
converted to .NET assemblies with IKVM (www.ikvm.net) worked well so
far. Unless there is an incentive to use the C libs (performance,
feature set, etc.) over Java I think most of my colleagues would prefer
the latter.

Jean-Michel