Re: [netcdf-java] Your netcdf question.

  • To: "Steve Loch" <sgl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [netcdf-java] Your netcdf question.
  • From: "Rich Signell" <rsignell@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 08:38:11 -0500
Matlab/NetCDF users,

Please be aware that there are many different toolkits for accessing
NetCDF files from Matlab.

Some use mex files, some use NetCDF-Java.
Some automatically scale using "scale_factor" and "add_offset", some don't.

In Chuck Denham's tookbox (which uses a mex file, not NetCDF-Java),
there are global variables that can override the default behavior.
If you don't set the variables, the default behavior is to NOT
autoscale, but in my startup.m file, I have:

global nctbx_options
nctbx_options.theAutoNaN=1;
nctbx_options.theAutoscale=1;

which changes the default behavior to autoscale.

I just wanted to mention this because I've seen Matlab users who used
someone elses startup.m file as a template sometimes unaware of this
issue, which can lead to confusion.

Thanks,
Rich