Re: [netcdf-java] [netcdfgroup] grid not recognized

Hi Frank:

The right way to do this is to follow the CF Conventions at

  http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/

A minimum thing to do is to add a global attribute:

   :Conventions = "CF-1.0";

The problem is that ncwms/cdm is not recognizing the sigma coordinate as the
vertical coordinate.
The right thing to do is to change it to one of the recognized CF vertical
coordinates in appendix
D, adding the correct metadata to allow transformation to height or pressure.
As a quick fix you can
add this attribute to the sigma variable:

  sigma:axis = "Z";

These 2 changes will allow viewing in toolsUI and IDV.

You also dont have projection information, so the x and y coordinates are not
useable. The 2D
lat/lon will be used instead, though there is some loss of funcionality and
efficiency when
computing subsets. In fact, im not sure if ncwms will work with only 2D lat/lon
coordinates, you
should post that question to that group (ncwms-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).
The right thing is to
add projection information using appendix F.

If these are important files you want to make as readable as possible by other
tools, i would
strongly suggest taking the time to add the vertical transform and projection
info, and making sure
the file is CF compliant. Two useful tools for that are:

  http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/conformance/compliance-checker/

  http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/cdmValidate.html

Regards,
John