[netcdf-java] announce: stable release netcdf-java 4.0

Version 4.0 is now the the stable release for the Netcdf-Java library. It is
available at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/

Version 4.0 continues to evolve with new features. However, a stable release
means that we will keep
future changes to the API backwards compatible to the public API at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/v4.0/javadoc/index.html

Version 2.2 is on "maintenence only" mode. We encourage you to switch to 4.0 to
take advantage of
many significant improvements and bug fixes.

Please report problems, bugs and suggested improvements to
netcdf-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thanks!

There are API changes that you may see when you start using 4.0 with an
application that has been
using 2.2. These are mostly minor and in all cases have equivalent or improved
functionality in 4.0.
Most of the changes are in implementation classes not often used by
applications. More info is at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/transition4.html

The license for netcdf-java 4.0 has been changed from LGPL to the "MIT-style"
license used by the
netCDF C library. This is intended to remove perceived barriers to use by some
commercial companies.
We anticipate continued contributions of bug fixes and enhancements by the
community.