Re: [netcdf-java] problem getting axistype

Hi John,

Just to return to this problem with some more info.  The following program:

        NetcdfDataset nc =
NetcdfDataset.openDataset("http://topaz.nersc.no/thredds/dodsC/topaz/mersea-ipv2/arctic/tmipv2a-class1-b-be";);
        GridDataset gd = (GridDataset)TypedDatasetFactory.open(FeatureType.GRID,
            nc, null, null);
        GridDatatype tmp = gd.findGridDatatype("temperature");
        GridCoordSystem coordSys = tmp.getCoordinateSystem();
        System.out.println("X axis type: " +
coordSys.getXHorizAxis().getAxisType());
        System.out.println("Y axis type: " +
coordSys.getYHorizAxis().getAxisType());
        System.out.println("Z axis type: " +
coordSys.getVerticalAxis().getAxisType());
        System.out.println("T axis type: " +
coordSys.getTimeAxis().getAxisType());
        nc.close();
    }

prints out:

X axis type: null
Y axis type: GeoY
Z axis type: Height
T axis type: Time

The variable in question is on a polar stereographic grid.  The types
of the Y, Z and T axes are correctly recognized as the above output
shows.  I can't figure out why the X axis is not.  This problem has
only recently appeared, and it might have occurred due to a change in
the version of nj4 that we use (or the OPeNDAP provider might have
changed something).

Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks, Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre