Re: [netcdf-java] Longitude unit degrees_west not recognized

Tom Whittaker wrote:
We have some point data that has positive-west longitude values.  It
appears that netcdf-java (and perhaps the CF conventions) do not
support a unit of "degrees_west".  This seems inconsistent, since
degrees_east is supported.  While I assume we can work arround this by
adding a scale_factor attribute with a -1.0 value, I would encourage
you to consider this as a valid unit.  (I also wonder if
"degrees_south" are recognized?  I did not check this.....)

Thanks.....

Hi Tom:

CF does not recognize degrees_west (nor degrees_south). You could propose
adding that to CF, which would be the best easy to solve it from our POV.

One thing that complicates it is that degrees_north, degrees_east units is the
way to recognize lat/lon coordinates. so now degrees_west, degees_south would
also be.

Can you give me some background on what datasets are likely to be using these
units?